We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Happy New Year to all! I hope that if you’ve made any new year’s reSEWlutions, you are keeping them and you’ve sewn lots of pretty things. I’m joining Sewing by Ti blog tour this month and the theme of the month is to sew something you haven’t before or use a technique/tool that is new to you. Stick around to the end of the post to see what others before me have sewn and what is ahead for the rest of the month.
I love this month’s theme because it is a great way to kick off the new year and get out of your comfort zone. My pattern stash consists of lots of patterns that have not been opened so I chose the NewLook Pattern D0596/View D, which is labeled as “easy”. From the beginning I was thinking that this project wasn’t going to turn out good and that the garment wasn’t going to fit because my measurements didn’t fall in the largest size (size 18) of the pattern. The only thing that fit the size 18 guideline was my bust measurement. So I was apprehensive, but nevertheless, I decide to go forth. Let me add that this pattern also included darts, which I have never done before and was terrified. Do not be afraid though, there are plenty of tutorials online that can help you get through your fear. I found this tutorial to be very helpful.
The pattern called for lightweight fabrics so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to use a fabric I’ve never used before. I chose a beautiful Chambray from Maker Mountain Fabrics. The fabric is described as “classic, grey matches everything in your wardrobe and the simple white, sashiko embroidery style stitched dots adds some personality and fun.” This fabric was definitely out of my comfort zone but looking at my wardrobe, I have a lot of grey so this actually fit right in. I’m really glad that I decided to get this fabric. I love the drape and it is very lightweight. This is the first time (and definitely not the last time) using Maker Mountain Fabrics and I was so pleased with the ordering and delivery process!!
From start to finish, this pattern took about 4.5 hours from cutting the pattern to pressing the final garment. Since this was the first time using this pattern, I took my time – well, except when it came time to hemming the armhole and neck band. The pattern called for single fold bias tape but I didn’t have a color that would match my top nor did I want to explore making my own bias tape so I thought why not just fold over the fabric and hem it that way. Had I taken a bit more time with it, the neckband wouldn’t be wonky or droopy, but I’m ok with it. Also, for the next top I make I will need to adjust the armholes as they seem a bit large, but I usually don’t wear sleeveless tops without cardigans/jackets so that won’t be a problem… I suppose. I wasn’t to precise with the ruffles and I think they turned out ok. This fabric really lent itself to this pattern and I am very pleased with the outcome. I was a bit intimated when the instructions indicated to sew only half of the back and go back and make a box hem – but that part wasn’t that difficult. Make sure to follow the instructions. My friend gave me a ton of buttons her mom had collected and in that collection I found the perfect eye and hook for my top. I was so happy that I didn’t have to go out and buy something and I was able to finish the project in what I consider a short amount of time. Next time I make this pattern, I think I will try a knit….Yes, there will be a next time!!
My measurements: Bust 45″, Waist 46.5″, Hips 46.5″ (I realize I’m getting to know my body shape more as I continue to work on different patterns).
supplies used: sewing machine – Singer Tradition, regular point needle (red shank/orange shaft) 3 yards of chambray and eye and hook.
*** You are here. 😀